Monday, July 25, 2011

The "Weighting" Game

Have you ever had reality smack you in the face?  I have and let me tell you, reality isn't very kind.  It's like a giant hand with long fingernails and warts and sharp, poky rings.  It hurts.  I've been trying to lose my baby weight for a while now.  Okay, two years and it just isn't going anywhere.  If you had asked me a few weeks ago what my diet was like I would (slightly smugly) have told you that I always eat a healthy, high fiber breakfast, never drink less than 3 quarts of water a day and I certainly rarely eat anything with sugar or fat. 

Ya, not even. 

Apparently I've been deluding myself into thinking I eat the way I did when I was training for a marathon and successfully losing my twin baby weight.  Sure, I eat oatmeal for breakfast but I might also have a handful or three of the kid's cereal or maybe I'd have a few pieces of toast.  Then I'll have a few snacks throughout the day but I don't know if you can call them snacks when they're full size meals.  I don't ever drink soda (I don't like the taste) but I haven't been drinking enough water either.  If I were planning my emergency water supply based on what I've been drinking, a pint or maybe 2 would be sufficient.  And apparently I eat some sort of junk food like cookies or candy or toast with a ton of butter and cinnamon sugar every day.  I think I felt that because I go to the gym everyday and run outside whenever I get the chance that somehow I got a free pass on the food.  My head knows that's a bunch of bull but apparently my face didn't get the message. 

I'm tired of deleting half our pictures because I don't like the way I look.  I'm frustrated with all the clothes that don't fit.  I hate feeling like I could run faster and further if only I wasn't carrying this extra weight.  Most of all I hate that food has such a hold on me.  It scares me.  

So now that I know what I'm really eating, it's time to make some changes.  I'm back in the habit of tracking my food and water.  I'm also trying to slowly change the way my family is eating.  They've been mirroring my habits and that's just not cool.  So we're slowly switching all of our bread to whole grain, I've been spending more time in the produce section and I'm taking the time to notice how I feel and what works and what doesn't.  I think one of my problems has been that I'd follow all the rules and stick to the plan for um, a day and get angry that I hadn't lost all the weight so I'd quit.  Mature, I know. 

Losing weight takes time, it takes focus and most of all it takes hard work.  So any suggestions?  What has worked for you?  What should I try?  I'm not interested in pills or magic shots just real food.  I would also like to know how I can get my kids to eat better. 

Wish me luck!

Kristen

4 comments:

  1. You crack me up! I lost my baby weight both times with Slim Fast. I like the powder and I put it in the blender with skim milk and ice and have an ice cream twice a day. It really does taste like one too. Anyway I have kept it off! I am not on it full time, but if I weigh myself and I am up 2 pounds I get back on for a week or so and get it off. I like it best because with kids it is a no brainer. Just grab a shake and get on with my day. 2 shakes and a meal. It will seriously melt off. Has worked for me for 9 years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, Kristen, real food is the way to go. The sure fire way to go is replace any processed foods you are eating with fresh fruits and vegetables. That way you are still getting a ton of nutrition. Often our biggest cause for illness is lack of nutrition/vitamins.

    Maybe eliminate dairy one day a week, eliminate meat one day a week, eliminate white white flour one day a week, eliminate sugar one day a week. Then just alternate. You don't have to starve yourself or cut calories (especially you, you're a runner!), just replace anything in a box with something not in a box. I realized that food can either be our master or it can be our greatest ally - and I'm sure you know that. Good luck!

    *These comments are not regulated by the FDA and the person giving them is not perfect but has a close, personal relationship with good food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also starting to get on the whole foods band wagon. Slowly. We are no saints when it comes to eating. Have I already recommend this blog, Word of Wisdom Living, to you? (I believe he is also LDS) I looove it. I have learned so much, and Skip is so helpful and insightful. I am slowly cutting out certain processed foods and trying to add in things that are just more basic in nature and rich in essentials like fiber, iron, protein, calcium, etc. Examples of things I have eliminated are snack/nutrition bars and pancake syrup. I try to use whole fruit/string cheese/nuts for snacks for me and the kids and we buy the more expensive, but also sweeter so you need less, real maple syrup.

    One little tip I picked up from his blog was on the bread you buy... make sure it has more grams of fiber per slice than sugar. I have started doing this and am still able to buy the store brand on sale.

    http://www.wordofwisdomliving.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. i so know how you feel. ugh. i gained so much with my first pregnancy and it was hard to lose it all. especially since even though i have finally lost it my tummy with never look the same. lame. working on not caring so much ... PS: thanks for stopping by today! i love meeting new blog peps! :)
    YOURS, MINE AND OURS

    ReplyDelete

I wanna hear what you have to say, so write. Pretty please.